...usually with an attempt at historical and economic context
Thursday, August 13, 2009
Government Should Stop Trying To Silence Health Care Opponents
President Barack Obama and Co. are demonstrating the weakness of their position on health care/health insurance “reform” in several ways:
1. They have been mobilizing union thugs and ACORN members to intimidate citizens who might embarrass officials by stating concerns or asking questions at town hall meetings. (See my article “Gangster Government II – Obama Thugs.”)
2. They are failing to answer citizens’ concerns about the health care plan. The following video shows a citizen speaking to Senator Arlen Specter (D-PA) at the Lebanon, PA town hall meeting on 08/11/09. The man speaks calmly, clearly, and respectfully about the objections people have about the plan.
The senator has no clear answer to any of the objections, just a vague “commitment” to work on the problems without stirring up turmoil. If the House bill prevails, and the senator supports it, this cannot be met.
2. They are blaming Fox News and cable channels for stirring up opposition to their plan, and they are otherwise fighting free speech on this issue, through their website which invites people to report on others who disagree with the plan. What they are doing with this website is illegal on several levels. If they are not keeping information, they are breaking the law that requires White House communications to be archived. If they are keeping the information they are breaking another law. See Jim Malmberg’s BloggersBase article “The Healthcare Gestapo” for a discussion of this. 
3. They are, in effect, calling protesters Nazis and brownshirts, when in fact the Administration has the brownshirts working for them. (See #1)
4. Obama and his people are complaining that protesting citizens are “organized,” when they are the ones doing the great amount of organizing.
“Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell, Ky., told ‘FOX News Sunday’ that it’s not clear who’s organized and who’s not but that Democrats’ efforts to ‘demonize’ the protesters reflect weak spots in the substance of their plan. “ ‘I think attacking citizens in our country for expressing their opinions about an issue of this magnitude may indicate some weakness in their position on the merits,’ McConnell said. ‘And I also think it’s particularly absurd for the Democrats, who have over an $8 million e-mail list over at the DNC called Organize America, to be criticizing citizens for being organized.’” 
5. The president can’t clearly explain what the plan is. Congressmen don’t seem to know quite what it is either. Is it the House bill or something else? How can they claim that people are spreading “disinformation” when no one seems to have the “real” information, if it isn’t the House bill?
6. They can’t seem to accept the reality that most American voters are against their plan and most are satisfied with their current coverage. They are in a political battle against the majority of the American people.
A Fox News poll of 900 registered voters, conducted by Opinion Dynamics Corp. by telephone, shows that 34 percent favor the Obama plan and 49 percent oppose it. The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percent The poll also shows that 52 percent believe the outrage shown in the town hall meetings is genuine, not the result of fake mobs or planted protesters. “Moreover, nearly half of Americans feel ‘frightened’ (31 percent) or ‘angry’ (17 percent)…. And an overwhelming 92 percent majority says members of Congress should be required to read and understand legislation before voting, ‘even if the bill is thousands of pages long.’” 
They also believe (53 percent) that the horror stories they hear about government health care in foreign countries could happen here under the Obama plan. And they would overwhelmingly prefer to receive medical treatment in the U.S. instead of Canada. 
7. The president’s claims that the AARP supports their efforts leaves many elderly people feeling a true sense of betrayal by that organization.
While people generally want to help the uninsured to get coverage, they are unwilling to pay high taxes and face the loss of their own coverage and get government-rationed care to accomplish this.
I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.